Making those 'Big' Moves

I have always thought of myself as easily adaptable. If I'm being completely honest with myself it's something I'm really proud of...Imagine my shock when faced with situations that require actual open-mindedness and I balk.

One of my friends thinks I'm too hard on myself but aren't we all.


It seemed that at the beginning of the year a lot of my friends were making these 'big' moves. Relocating, changing jobs, getting married or leaving Nigeria for their MBA programs abroad and here I was single, bored and going through mental and emotional fatigue.

As someone who spends a lot of time inside her head, I knew that the increasing frequency of my "I am tired" alluded to a far deeper issue than work. I felt stuck.

It seemed like everyone was off living their dreams and I wasn't even sure what mine was. Do you ever feel like that?

At this point, I debated whether to apply for an MBA as well...anything to shake up my life. I acted out (Not particularly proud of that). I remember applying to new jobs with a renewed frenzy. I had a holiday coming up and I hoped it would provide much-needed clarity on the Next Steps to take in my career-life journey.

Have you ever been in my shoes?

I eventually got a new job offer but I was so overcome by fear. Was this a good move? I'd been at my firm for 5 years! To leave that familiar territory for parts unknown was terrifying. Have you ever found yourself craving change then running from it when the opportunity finally appeared? In the middle of all this, I found out I would have to relocate soon.

There were too many new things happening all at once. My adaptive skills were been tested and I wasn't sure I was keeping up quite well.

Did I mention that at around this time, I started dating? Yup! A new relationship just when you find out you may be relocating. Who does that happen to?

And this wasn't just any relationship...this was THE relationship.

So, new job, a new man and potentially new location.

I know I was craving a 'shake-up' in my life but this was a tremor.

It's so easy to feel pressured to make those big moves. Everyone around us these days is either starting a business, relocating, getting married, having a baby, climbing the corporate ladder or embarking on the pursuit of a new educational or professional qualification.

In the middle of all this, it's important to be still, ignore the chatter and focus on what you want. Why are you relocating? WHy are you starting that new relationship? Why are you taking that professional exam? What do you want?

Goal setting is important or else we would all get caught up in the tide of life. Settling when we should be getting. And when you get to a crossroad, again find your stillness. Make a decision, own it and stick to it.

I don't have all my "BIG" moves figured out yet but I'm taking them one "small" step at a time.


Talk to you soon from the new location hopefully. LOL


Comments

Popular Posts