Are attractive people nice?

Hmm, I am yet to meet one attractive person who isn’t sassy. 

I’ve never thought of myself as a nice person. My sense of humor borders on cruel. I’ve been blithely sarcastic for almost all my life and only recently started making a conscious effort to tame it. Are these signs of a nice person? I think not.

Who is a nice person anyway? According to the dictionary, a nice person is agreeable, pleasant, kind, good-natured.

That’s kind of a one size fits all definition but hey! I didn’t write the dictionary.

Nice is also subjective. You could be nice to one person but unpleasant to another, for reasons that are entirely your own.

Someone once told me that attractive people don’t feel the need to be nice because people suck up to them anyway, and they can always get by on their looks. 

Lol! While we’re at it, we could also posit that attractive people lack a conscience. (Excuse my sarcasm).

Another school of thought is that attractive people are only nice to you if they want something. Umm, isn’t that all of us - attractive and unattractive individuals alike?

I believe all humans are self-serving so of course they’ll be nice to you if they want something regardless of their attractiveness level. 

I also think people already have misconceptions about you. They expect this attractive person to be unfriendly and stuck-up. Can you blame attractive people then for being aloof? Can you?

Nice people generally “carry” last. So nice attractive people aren’t always exempt from this. They get taken advantage of as much as the next person. So can you again blame an attractive person for being “not nice”?

I’ve had exes tell me that I’m too friendly that’s why every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks it’s okay to make a pass at me. One ex told me I should be more inaccessible. In my mind this equated to, be less nice. 

I don’t even think I’m nice so imagine someone telling me to be less nice. That’s telling me to be downright evil then. 

I’ve also heard people say things like light-skinned individuals are proud/vain. Another one is that attractive people have the personality of a cardboard, they have no sense of humor and can get away with anything. I call birdshit!. I’m digressing I know. The focus is on whether attractive people are nice people.

I think they can be. If they aren’t, it’s not always because of their looks. It could be based on how they were raised, their experiences or their innate personality. Regardless, maybe we shouldn’t all judge a book by its cover.

What do you think? 

Comments

Popular Posts